Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:Dan Schneider sues 'Quiet on Set' producers for defamation, calls docuseries 'a hit job' -MacroWatch
SafeX Pro:Dan Schneider sues 'Quiet on Set' producers for defamation, calls docuseries 'a hit job'
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:35:14
Dan Schneider,SafeX Pro the showrunner of some of Nickelodeon's biggest shows who was one of the subjects of "Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV," is suing the ID docuseries' producers for defamation.
According to a copy of the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and obtained by USA TODAY Wednesday, Schneider, 58, alleges "Quiet on Set's" portrayal of him "is a hit job" that implied Schneider "sexually abused the children who worked on his television shows."
"While it is indisputable that two bona fide child sexual abusers worked on Nickelodeon shows, it is likewise indisputable that Schneider had no knowledge of their abuse, was not complicit in the abuse, condemned the abuse once it was discovered and, critically, was not a child sexual abuser himself," the complaint states. "Defendants have destroyed Schneider’s reputation and legacy through the false statements and implications that Schneider is exactly that."
USA TODAY has contacted representatives for defendants Warner Brothers Discovery, Maxine Productions and Sony Pictures Television for comment.
Our critic's review:'Quiet on Set' doc on Nickelodeon scandal exposes the high price of kids TV
Dan Schneider says he regrets his behavior, denies involvement in 'horrific crimes'
In the original four episodes of "Quiet on Set," Schneider was accused of inappropriate behavior on his Nickelodeon shows, including asking female employees for massages on set. Some also argued that the shows he worked on featured disturbing sexual innuendos, not suitable for young viewers.
In a statement shared with USA TODAY Wednesday, Schneider said, "After seeing 'Quiet on Set 'and its Trailer, and the reactions to them, I sadly have no choice but to take legal action against the people behind it.
"In their successful attempt to mislead viewers and increase ratings, they went beyond reporting the truth and falsely implied that I was involved in or facilitated horrific crimes for which actual child predators have been prosecuted and convicted."
He added, "I have no objection to anyone highlighting my failures as a boss, but it is wrong to mislead millions of people to the false conclusion that I was in any way involved in heinous acts like those committed by child predators. I owe it to myself, my family, and the many wonderful people involved in making these shows to set the record straight."
Who's in 'Quiet on Set'?These Nickelodeon stars spoke up about their experiences
Schneider, who addressed the "Quiet on Set" allegations in March by expressing regret over some of his actions, admitted in his filing, "At times, he was blind to the pain that some of his behaviors caused certain colleagues, subordinates, and cast members. He will regret and atone for this behavior the rest of his life."
The filing adds, "But one thing he is not—and the one thing that will forever mar his reputation and career both past and present—is a child sexual abuser."
What happened in 'Quiet on Set'?
"Quiet on Set," a four-part docuseries that premiered March 17, shined a light on a multitude of allegations from child actors and members of production who claim they experienced abuse, sexism, racism, inappropriate friendships between adults and children and more while working for Schneider's shows.
In the third episode, Drake Bell came forward as the sexual abuse victim of former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck. Peck was arrested in August 2003 and convicted in 2004 on charges of lewd acts with a child that stemmed from a 2001 incident. Bell had not previously disclosed himself as the plaintiff in that case.
Peck was convicted of lewd acts with a minor in 2004 and sentenced to 16 months in prison.
On April 7, a fifth episode was released and featured new interviews with the original participants, plus one with a former child star who came forward for the first time. Toward the end of the episode, former "All That" star Shane Lyons alleged Peck made "passes" at him while he was on the show.
Schneider created Nickelodeon programs "The Amanda Show," "Drake & Josh," "Zoey 101," "iCarly," "Victorious" and more. He previously rose in the rankings for his writing on "All That," "Good Burger" and "Kenan & Kel."
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org).
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (613)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Why Diddy is facing 'apocalyptic' legal challenges amid 6 new sexual assault civil suits
- Navajo leader calls for tribal vice president’s resignation amid political upheaval
- Tennessee Titans expected to release veteran Jamal Adams, per report
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Jury seated for Indiana trial of suspect in 2017 killings of 2 teen girls
- Coca-Cola recalls canned drink mislabeled as zero-sugar: Over 13,000 12-packs recalled
- Protesters demand Kellogg remove artificial colors from Froot Loops and other cereals
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Another study points to correlation between helmet use on motorcycles and odds of survival
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- A wild cat native to Africa and Asia is captured in a Chicago suburb
- Montana Republican Gov. Greg Gianforte to debate Democratic rival
- Wild caracal cat native to Africa and Asia found roaming Chicago suburb
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Bella Hadid Makes Angelic Return to Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show
- Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers
- Taylor Swift releases Eras tour book, plus new bonus version of 'Tortured Poets' on CD and vinyl
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Texas man facing execution in shaken baby syndrome case awaits clemency ruling
Liam Payne's Official Cause of Death Confirmed by Authorities
Wreckage found, but still no sign of crew after Navy fighter jet crash in Washington state
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
After hurricanes, the business of rebuilding lives means navigating the insurance claims process
US law entitles immigrant children to an education. Some conservatives say that should change
After hurricanes, the business of rebuilding lives means navigating the insurance claims process