Current:Home > InvestJudge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case -MacroWatch
Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:28
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark civil trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center has issued a preliminary order slashing the $38 million verdict against the state to $475,000. Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Andrew Schulman previously said reducing the amount awarded to plaintiff David Meehan by nearly 99% would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice,” He reiterated that belief in a Nov. 4 order, but “reluctantly” granted the state’s request to the cap the award and said he would enter a final judgement to that effect on Friday barring any last-minute requests from attorneys.
Meehan’s allegations of horrific sexual and physical abuse at the Youth Development Center in 1990s led to a broad criminal investigation resulting in multiple arrests. His civil lawsuit seeking to hold the state accountable was the first of more than 1,100 to go to trial. Although jurors sided with him in May after a monthlong trial, confusion arose over how much money they could award in damages.
The dispute involves part of the verdict form that asked jurors “How many incidents does the jury unanimously find the plaintiff has proven by a preponderance of the evidence?” Jurors were not informed that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident.”
Some jurors later said they wrote “one” on the verdict form to reflect that they believed Meehan suffered a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse. The state has interpreted the verdict to mean that jurors found it liable for only one “incident” of abuse at the Manchester facility, now called the Sununu Youth Services Center.
The judge has denied Meehan’s motions for a new trial focused only on determining the number of incidents or to set aside just the portion of the verdict in which jurors wrote one incident. He said an entirely new trial remains an option, but Meehan’s attorneys have not requested one.
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested, though one has since died and charges against another were dropped after the man, now in his early 80s, was found incompetent to stand trial.
The only criminal case to go to trial so far ended in a mistrial in September after jurors deadlocked on whether the defendant, Victor Malavet, raped a girl at a separate state-run facility in Concord.
Bradley Asbury, who has pleaded not guilty to holding down a teenage boy while other staffers sexually assaulted him in Manchester, goes on trial next week.
veryGood! (2478)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Today's Al Roker Reflects on Health Scares in Emotional Father's Day Tribute
- 'It's like gold': Onions now cost more than meat in the Philippines
- Warming Trends: Farming for City Dwellers, an Upbeat Climate Podcast and Soil Bacteria That May Outsmart Warming
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- See the Major Honor King Charles III Just Gave Queen Camilla
- Has Conservative Utah Turned a Corner on Climate Change?
- Activists Call for Delay to UN Climate Summit, Blaming UK for Vaccine Delays
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- U.S. Emissions Dropped in 2019: Here’s Why in 6 Charts
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- In-N-Out brings 'animal style' to Tennessee with plans to expand further in the U.S.
- Millions of workers are subject to noncompete agreements. They could soon be banned
- A Project Runway All-Star Hits on Mentor Christian Siriano in Flirty Season 20 Preview
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Coco Austin Twins With Daughter Chanel During Florida Vacation
- Powerball jackpot now 9th largest in history
- Tatcha's Rare Sitewide Sale Is Here: Shop Amazing Deals on The Dewy Skin Cream, Silk Serum & More
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
A Sprawling Superfund Site Has Contaminated Lavaca Bay. Now, It’s Threatened by Climate Change
Air Pollution From Raising Livestock Accounts for Most of the 16,000 US Deaths Each Year Tied to Food Production, Study Finds
Maine lobster industry wins reprieve but environmentalists say whales will die
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Efforts To Cut Georgia Ports’ Emissions Lack Concrete Goals
Chinese manufacturing weakens amid COVID-19 outbreak
Delaware U.S. attorney says Justice Dept. officials gave him broad authority in Hunter Biden probe, contradicting whistleblower testimony