Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MacroWatch
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 05:39:59
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7343)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Ed Sheeran joins Taylor Swift onstage in Wembley for epic triple mashup
- Luke Goodwin, YouTuber Who Battled Rare Cancer, Dead at 35
- Silk non-dairy milk recalled in Canada amid listeria outbreak: Deaths increased to three
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Will the Cowboy State See the Light on Solar Electricity?
- Round 2 of US Rep. Gaetz vs. former Speaker McCarthy plays out in Florida GOP primary
- Woman charged with trying to defraud Elvis Presley’s family through sale of Graceland
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Looking to buy a home? You may now need to factor in the cost of your agent’s commission
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Nick Jonas Details How Wife Priyanka Chopra Helps Him Prepare for Roles
- From 'The Bikeriders' to 'Furiosa,' 15 movies you need to stream right now
- 15-year-old who created soap that could treat skin cancer named Time's 2024 Kid of the Year
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Trans teens file lawsuit challenging New Hampshire law banning them from girls’ sports
- Biden administration hikes pay for Head Start teachers to address workforce shortage
- Florida school psychologist charged with possessing and distributing child sexual abuse material
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Nick Jonas reflects on fatherhood, grief while promoting 'The Good Half'
Why Jana Duggar Says It Was “Disheartening” Watching Her Siblings Getting Married First
Jewish groups file federal complaint alleging antisemitism in Fulton schools
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Powerball winning numbers for August 14 drawing: Jackpot at $35 million
Mom, stepdad of 12-year-old Texas girl who died charged with failure to seek medical care
TikToker Nara Smith Addresses Accusation She’s Using Ozempic