Current:Home > reviewsWorld Central Kitchen resuming Gaza operations weeks after deadly strike -MacroWatch
World Central Kitchen resuming Gaza operations weeks after deadly strike
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 23:16:22
World Central Kitchen will restart its operations in Gaza four weeks after seven aid workers were killed by Israeli air strikes, the organization announced on Sunday.
The nonprofit, founded by celebrity chef José Andrés, suspended its operations delivering vital food aid in Gaza after the killings. Before the April 1 strike, which killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, the organization had sent around two tons of food to Gaza. The organization has 276 trucks, filled with the equivalent of almost 8 million meals, ready to enter through the Rafah crossing in southern Gaza.
"The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains dire," World Central Kitchen said in a statement. "We are restarting our operation with the same energy, dignity, and focus on feeding as many people as possible."
World Central Kitchen said food will be sent in by whatever means possible, including land, air and sea. The organization has dozens of community kitchens along with high-production kitchens in the Gazan cities of Rafah and Deir al Balah. Construction on a third high-production kitchen in Mawasi is underway.
"WCK has built a strong team of Palestinians to carry the torch forward," the organization said. "Our model has always been to work hand in hand with the community: Puerto Ricans feeding Puerto Ricans; Moroccans feeding Moroccans; Ukrainians feeding Ukrainians; and now, Palestinians feeding Palestinians."
U.S.-Canadian dual national Jacob Flickinger, 33, was among those killed in the April 1 incident. The other WCK staff members killed in the attack, which Israel's military called a "grave mistake," were identified as Palestinian, British, Polish and Australian nationals.
The Israeli military on April 5 announced that it dismissed two officers and reprimanded three others for their roles in the deadly drone strikes, saying they had mishandled critical information and violated the army's rules of engagement.
"The incident should not have occurred," the IDF said in a statement summarizing retired general Yoav Har-Even's seven-page findings. "Those who approved the strike were convinced that they were targeting armed Hamas operatives and not WCK employees. The strike on the aid vehicles is a grave mistake stemming from a serious failure due to a mistaken identification, errors in decision-making, and an attack contrary to the Standard Operating Procedures."
WCK noted the IDF had apologized and said they had changed their rules of operation.
"While we have no concrete assurances, we continue to seek answers and advocate for change with the goal of better protecting WCK and all NGO workers serving selflessly in the worst humanitarian conditions," World Central Kitchen said Sunday. "Our demand for an impartial and international investigation remains."
People across war-torn Gaza are starving. A third of children under the age of two in Gaza are currently acutely malnourished, according to the U.N. children's charity UNICEF. International aid agencies say over 1 million people — half of Gaza's population — are now in the midst of a famine. World Central Kitchen noted that it had been forced to decide between stopping aid during a hunger crisis or resuming aid, knowing that aid workers would be at risk.
"These are the hardest conversations and we have considered all perspectives when deliberating," WCK said. "Ultimately, we decided that we must keep feeding, continuing our mission of showing up to provide food to people during the toughest of times."
Israel has accused Hamas of preventing at least some of the aid that has entered Gaza from reaching the people who need it.
- In:
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
- World Central Kitchen
- José Andrés
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBSNews.com. She has previously written for outlets including PIX11 News, The New York Daily News, Inside Edition and DNAinfo. Aliza covers trending news, often focusing on crime and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (349)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Search for escaped Pennsylvania murderer enters eighth day
- Federal judge deals another serious blow to proposed copper-nickel mine on edge Minnesota wilderness
- Biden aims to use G20 summit and Vietnam visit to highlight US as trustworthy alternative to China
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Why No. 3 Alabama will need bullies or a magician for its showdown against No. 10 Texas
- Corporate Nature Restoration Results Murky at Best, Greenwashed at Worst
- Mother allegedly confined 9-year-old to home since 2017, had to 'beg to eat': Police
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Report blames deadly Iowa building collapse on removal of bricks and lack of shoring
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- A unified strategy and more funding are urgently needed to end the crisis in Myanmar, UN chief says
- Phoenix poised to break another heat record
- 24 children have died in hot cars nationwide in 2023: 'This is a great tragedy'
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Ohio will keep GOP-drawn congressional maps in 2024 elections, ending court challenge
- As U.S. warns North Korea against giving Russia weapons for Ukraine, what could Kim Jong Un get in return?
- This meteorite is 4.6 billion years old. Here's what it could reveal about Earth's creation
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Prince Harry Returns to London for WellChild Awards Ahead of Queen Elizabeth II's Death Anniversary
2 attacks by Islamist insurgents in Mali leave 49 civilians and 15 soldiers dead, military says
Louisiana gubernatorial candidates set to debate crime, economy and other issues 5 weeks from vote
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Without proper air conditioning, many U.S. schools forced to close amid scorching heat
The president of a Japanese boy band company resigns and apologizes for founder’s sex abuse
Bruce Springsteen postpones remaining September shows due to peptic ulcer