Current:Home > MyAssistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher -MacroWatch
Assistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 23:26:33
The assistant principal of the Virginia school where a 6-year-old boy shot his first grade teacher has been charged with eight counts of felony child abuse and disregard for life, according to an indictment unsealed on Tuesday.
Ebony Parker, who worked for Richneck Elementary School on Jan. 6, 2023, when Abigail Zwerner was shot by her student, was indicted on March 11. But the charges were not unsealed until Tuesday, according to the Virginia courts website. Parker is not yet in custody.
Parker committed "a willful act or omission in the care of such students” that was “so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life," and should be held on $4,000 bond, according to a copy of the indictment obtained by the Virginian-Pilot.
The charges, all class 6 felonies, each carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
More:James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of Michigan shooter, sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison
Teacher's lawsuit claims Parker ignored warnings ahead of shooting
Zwerner filed a lawsuit in April of 2023 seeking $40 million in damages from school officials. In the lawsuit, Zwerner claimed Parker received multiple warnings of the boy's violent behavior, but failed to take action to prevent the shooting.
In a notice of claim sent to the Newport News School District by her attorney, Zwerner alleged she visited Parker's office hours before the shooting to report that the boy "seemed more ‘off’ than usual and was in a violent mood." She reported that he had already threatened to beat up another child and "angrily stared down a security officer."
“Assistant Principal Parker should have called police, instead she did not follow proper protocol and chose to do absolutely nothing,” the claim says.
Less than an hour later, another teacher told Parker that other students reported that the boy had a gun in his backpack, the claim alleges. Another teacher informed Parker of reports that the boy had the gun in his pocket, according to the claim.
"Assistant Principal Parker was made aware at the beginning of recess that Ms. Zwerner was afraid that the shooter had a gun in his pocket," Zwerner's attorney wrote. "And again nothing was done."
Zwerner was shot in the hands and chest, and was hospitalized for almost two weeks after the shooting. She resigned from her position at the school in June of 2023.
Parker resigned from her position after the shooting. John Mumford Jr., an attorney listed for her, did not immediately return a request for comment.
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA Today. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (2568)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Honeymoon now a 'prison nightmare,' after Hurricane Beryl strands couple in Jamaica
- Klay Thompson posts heartfelt message to Bay Area, thanks Warriors
- New parents in Baltimore could get $1,000 if voters approve ‘baby bonus’ initiative
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Check Out Where All of Your Favorite Olympic Gymnasts Are Now
- Which states could have abortion on the ballot in 2024? Arkansas organizers aim to join the list
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 5 drawing: Jackpot now worth $181 million
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- 'Wheel of Fortune' fans are divided over preview of new season without Pat Sajak
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Giannis Antetokounmpo and Greece head to Olympics. Brazil, Spain to join them in Paris Games field
- Boeing accepts a plea deal to avoid a criminal trial over 737 Max crashes, Justice Department says
- Klay Thompson posts heartfelt message to Bay Area, thanks Warriors
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- NHRA legend John Force walking with assistance after Traumatic Brain Injury from crash
- Nightengale's Notebook: Twins' Carlos Correa finds peace after bizarre free agency saga
- Klay Thompson posts heartfelt message to Bay Area, thanks Warriors
Recommendation
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
More records expected to shatter as long-running blanket of heat threatens 130 million in U.S.
'Wheel of Fortune' fans are divided over preview of new season without Pat Sajak
Madison Keys withdraws in vs. Jasmine Paolini, ends Wimbledon run due to injury
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
John Cena announces his retirement from professional wrestling after 2025 season
NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks
Searing heat wave grills large parts of the US, causes deaths in the West and grips the East